5 Helpful Steps in Choosing the Perfect Floor Lamp
A floor lamp is a combination of functionality and beauty in one. It is a functional piece because it provides abundant light for reading and working purposes. On the other hand, it is also an exquisite work of art because floor lamps are available in many beautiful intricate designs that can truly make a whole room special. One particular stunning type of floor lamp is the Tiffany style floor lamps. There are also other types that can vary from modern and traditional ones. It is a good idea to buy a floor lamp and table lamp together because these pieces always come hand in hand. These pieces are sometimes expensive so make sure you know the necessary tips so you can be sure you will be buying a reliable lamp.
1. You should first determine for what purpose you are going to use the floor lamp. If it is for reading purposes, find a lamp that has an adequate light to do this activity. Then again if it is only used to create the mood of the entire room, a low wattage bulb is needed. These lamps are very flexible so if you ever change your mind in where to put them, you can always position it elsewhere.
2. It is also sometimes necessary to measure the space that will be used for the floor lamp. Aspects such as the height are essential. The uplight top edge should be higher than the standing person’s level. While the reading lamp’s lower edge needs to be below the eye level. This measurement ensures decreased exposure to the bare bulb glare.
Although these lamps only use minimal space, it is still important to keep the measurement in mind when shopping especially when eyeing the lampshades.
3. It is also wise to choose a halogen-style or fluorescent bulbs for these lamps.
The floor lamp’s switch location should also be a determining factor. It should be convenient for the user. These switches sometimes come in touch-on switches, remote control dimmer or a rotating switch. Decide on your preference and check if it is working properly.
4. It is always a good idea to compare the style and design of these lamps. Many lamps appear to look good when they are in the shop but as soon as you bring them home, it will look entirely different. So, always take into account the look of the lamp with your overall décor.
5. Safety is also an important aspect. Inspect if the base of the lamp will be able to support itself and maintain the lamp’s stability. This is especially important if there are pets and children inside the house.
Floor lamps come in an incredible number of styles nowadays including the contemporary, funky and traditional pieces. It will really just depend on your personal preference and your home’s overall look. Many homeowners prefer tiffany style floor lamps but if you are more into retro then find one that suits your needs. Just make sure that the floor lamp you buy will be meeting all the necessary safety guidelines so not only will you enjoy the lamp but also be on the safe side.
Source: L Modern Lighting